We tend to forget about dryer vents. It takes time for lent to build up, layer by layer until a sufficient amount has accumulated to restrict air flow—but the signs are there.
Probably the first one was the failure of clothes to dry in a normal drying cycle. Still a little damp? No problem. Just turn the dryer on and let it run a little longer.
Then there was the heat and humidity in the laundry room. With the air flow restricted, that heat cannot exhaust outside, but it has to go somewhere. It happens so slowly, over weeks, we do not notice; or we do notice and choose to ignore it.
There are several factors that influence that problematic lent buildup.
The truth is, many dryers do not have the power to blast lint out through the dryer vent cover on the outside of the house. Older dryers tend to be less powerful, as do smaller units. No dryers can force air over long distances. Anything more than about 10 feet can strain most dryers.
The material type and condition of the vent pipe can make a difference too. The flexible, plastic pipes are susceptible to tears, and being so flexible, they often develop multiple bends and curves to trap lent. Shoving the dryer back against a wall can crimp soft plastic pipes as well as the higher grade corrugated metal flex pipe. Anything that restricts air flow will allow lent to build up in the pipes quicker.
Every homeowner should make periodic inspections behind their dryer to look for ANY lent buildup on the floor. Lent on the floor indicates a hole in the vent pipe, a leaking vent connection or a plugged vent pipe. Lent has to go someplace, and if nowhere else is available, it will blow back through the dryer cabinet. Any lent is extremely flammable and needs to be cleaned up immediately.If your dryer or vent is experiencing any of the above symptoms, it is probably time to get it cleaned. Why not give Absolute Clean a call at (314) 327-5745 and let us clean out that dryer vent so your clothes will dry quicker, your laundry room will be cooler, and you will not have to worry about lent fires. It takes less than an hour, and both you and your dryer will breathe easier.
Does Your Home Smell?
Whether it is pet odors, mildew, mold, tobacco smoke or wood smoke from a faulty fireplace we have a solution to get your home back to smelling FRESH and CLEAN! Check out our OZONE page for more information about this ground breaking technology in odor removal.
“In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition.”
-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
If you suspect that you may have mold in your home give us a call TODAY at (314) 327-5745 for a FREE estimate.